Tuesday, November 20, 2012

So yeah, we've been quiet lately...

Not that anyone reads this blog anyway, but I have still been hard at work on the mod. I haven't posted any new screenshots because I've gone back and vastly re-tooled the overall concept, level design, and other such things. The original layout (military base, docks, wastewater treatment plant, and airbase) was simply a bit too much to actually complete within a reasonable timeframe, let alone to optimize properly. I also wanted a higher level of detail, and wide open areas don't mesh well with a high level of detail (at least in Source).

A new island map has been drawn up with a more visually consistent layout, as well as a new scenario to better fit it. Mapping has commenced, with one location with a fairly high level of detail already quite far along. The hardest part about the new layout is the creation of a "hub" map- an area players traverse multiple times on the way to different sections of the island. Different areas will unlock based on variables that will be carried from map to map to track the current state of the world. Progress in the story, acquired weapons, and other such events will open up new areas for the player to explore. I don't want to say too much yet, because as this blog can tell you, early levels can change radically before a final product is released.

Speaking of releases, once enough maps are to a reasonably complete state I may release an open set of the maps for playtesting. I have a very limited circle of people that I know that would be able to playtest in a more closed system, so considering these circumstances a larger pool of testers would be more expedient with regards to collecting feedback to fine-tune the game. I do not have a release date for the proposed playtest, because at this juncture I simply don't know. Regardless, I will be hard at work on this mod to get it done and out the door. I've learned a lot trying to make this game, and I certainly would like to put this new knowledge to proper use, as well as having a project to put on my resume would certainly help me more than hinder me.

Wish me luck.

No comments: